Newton, WI, September 27, 2010 – Dr. Kristina Hiney, PhD, Omega Fields® Equine Nutrition Advisor, has prepared a series of Seasonal Tips which can be of great help to the horse owner transitioning their horses from one season to another.
Omega Fields® recognizes that your horse’s health is always of paramount importance but the many things to consider and keep in mind can make this task overwhelming. To simplify, we’ve asked Dr. Hiney to split up annual health considerations into the four seasons. Following are the things you should do during this summer-to-fall transition:
• Check the body condition score of all your horses, especially the older ones. Extra pounds will aid them in getting through the winter if you live in a cold environment.
• Have your horses teeth checked. Again for the older horses, it is important that their teeth are in good shape. Eating forage is a great way to produce heat in the horse’s gut. Their teeth need to be in proper form to digest this feed.
• Pull out blankets and inspect for wear. Now is the time to get repairs done, not when the arctic wind is blowing!
• Check that all wiring and plumbing to the barn is in good repair.
• Check that all bucket and water tank heaters are working. While quite the timesavers, these devices can also cause get headaches if they don’t function properly. If they are sending an electrical current into the water from a short, your horse will not drink. This can quickly lead to dehydration as horses are normally eating drier feed stuffs in the winter.
• Make sure you either have a reliable delivery source of bedding, or choose to get a larger stockpile for winter. This is not the season to run short!
• Deworm with a boticide after the first hard frost. The adult insect form will be dead, and there should not be any further infestation for your horse from bots.
To read the other Seasonal Tips from Dr. Kris Hiney, as well as her monthly articles concerning equine health and training, sign up to receive Omega Fields’ monthly Health-E-Letter. It’s free, delivered to your email address, and contains exciting product discounts, up-to-date research, health-related news, interesting resources, and new product announcements, along with thought provoking feature stories.
About Omega Fields –
Omega Fields® provides premium, nutritional products, made from human-grade, stabilized ground flaxseed, rich with antioxidants and optimum ratios of the full spectrum of natural Omega Fatty Acids for equine, canine, poultry and human nutrition via online and traditional distribution models. Online-based consumer distribution includes OmegaFields.com, OmegaFieldsHealth.com, and FLAX.com. Retail delivery includes distributor and retail dealer programs providing nation-wide and international distribution. Omega Fields is recognized as a minority owned business.
Omega Fields’ mission is to offer the finest quality, most nutritious products at fair prices and provide outstanding customer service, all resulting in an exceptional experience with our products, staff, websites, and retailers.
For further information, contact Patrick Young, Omega Fields’ Director of Communications, toll free at 1-800-962-9536 or 920-550-4061, ext. 118, email email@example.com, or visit www.OmegaFields.com or www.OmegaFieldsHealth.com, or www.FLAX.com.